2008/11/04

What Are We Drinking on This Election Night?


*I'm going to preface by saying that this is not very well written, it's sort of a short word explosion written on an extreme coffee high*

The purpose of this blog is to aid in my self-important narcissism. With that, I need to stroke the old ego once more by talking about one of my least favourite subjects; American politics. Back in my early days at University I was very interested in politics, but this also did correspond with the West Wing still being on regular television. I attended rallies, owned bumper stickers and candidate buttons, and even fervently listened to Air America-this is no longer the case. I chose a different path in my education and decidedly became apathetic about the process. When it came time for this election I also opted to not really pay attention until the final bout of the debates and of course the actual election. I don't think I will ever become fully apathetic and not vote, I threatened this year, but like my taste in women, it was shallow. There was also no real threat of me voting Republican, but I have toyed with the idea of voting Green or Nader Independent because if nothing else I am tired of the two party system.

After spending my last few days in one of the hearts of Republican country (Southern California-L.A. County, not Hollywood) I return to civilization full of despair and actually truly hurt by the vile hatred spewed by some of these people about Obama. My brother told me about a Daily Show bit where they were at a McCain rally and spoke to a women who was still adamant about his being Muslim, to which the Daily Show guy said, "besides not being a Muslim, what makes [Obama] a Muslim?" This is what we are dealing with as a country, a sort of fingers-in-ears and petulant nonsense denial. What hurts also is people in my own family saying that I am an idiot for my liberal beliefs, elections truly bring out the worst in many Americans on either side of the isle.

This brings me to the most important question of the day; What are you drinking tonight? Despite my loyalties to English and Irish beers, I will be drinking American tonight, most likely Samuel Adams Boston Ale. Their standard is the Boston Lager, but my favourite offering from them is the Ale primarily because of my affinity to the style.
There are loads of political blogs on the internet, so this will most likely be my only post of this nature.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

let me know what to pick up tonight!