2008/09/21

Old 1830s Pale Ale


Hiya!
This is the premier post of my status blog about my new hobby of home-brewing. I'm sure most people would not care one bit about my process in this venture, but perhaps my friends will enjoy being able to mark the progress of the beer they are about to be pushed. Anyway here is a description os the first successful beer I brewed. This is the text from the label I made:

"Sovereign people are in a beastly state"
-Sydney Smith

The Beer Act of 1830 was an important stepping stone on the way towards middle, and eventually working class enfranchisement in Parliament. This initial step lifted the steep excise duty on barrels of beer and allowed for a wider sphere of brewers and publicans. Within one year after this act passed through both houses, 40,000 new drinking establishments opened throughout Britain. There was of course strong opposition to such an opening of the tax system, mostly from stark Conservatives who feared race deterioration and nationwide drunkenness. Most opponents of this act however were more afraid of the potential loss of funds through the beer, wine and sprit duties than the effects of drink, after all, they were just as fond of having a laugh as anyone else. It is in the spirit of the 1830 Beer Act that this beer was created, so in the vein of pre-Victorian British fervor let ring a boisterous Huzzah! And drink up.
Cheers!

This beer was made from a kit that my wonderful girlfriend gave me for Christmas and was actually successful. In the end it could have been better, but for a first attempt it was rather great.
Slainte!
-J

No comments: