2008/09/25

Imperial Stout pt. II


Well I have yet to bottle the Imperial Stout, I want to, I need to, yet time has not yet allowed me to. With luck I may be able to bottle tonight. I think, based on the advice of a good friend of mine that I will go with a geeky name having to do with the origins of this particular style of beer akin to the 1830s Pale Ale. I should also take his advice since he has graciously agreed to draw what will no doubt be a very neat label for this beer, please check out his work here: http://jefflanceillustration.blogspot.com/


The Imperial stout is, in origin an English style, but is often referred to as 'Russian Imperial Stout' because of trade in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries with the Czars of Russia. As with the India Pale Ale, this style is named after the destination export of the beer. It is rumoured, but not proven that the reason for this style's rich and robust flavour is due to the need to fortify the beer for the cold conditions as well as the long voyage toward and in the Baltic Sea. It is said that Catherine II, the eighteenth-century empress of Russia, drank barrel after barrel of this beer, but it has also been said that she was killed whilst having sex with a horse, so believe what you will (she actually died of a stroke in 1796). Like the IPA, the Imperial Stout is much heavier on the malt content, as well as the hop bitterness than a more standard stout, but is not necessarily hoppy tasting. I used a good dose of bittering hops in this, but very little in the way of aroma, I really am trying to highlight the dark, coffee and chocolate like malt used. I have high hopes for this beer, so I can't wait until it is done.

One last bit.
I am trying to come up with a good holiday brew, thinking obviously along the lines of the traditional 'holiday spices.' I want to make something subtle and not overly spice infused, thinking mainly about doing a Nut Brown Ale with hints of nutmeg, molasses, cloves, and vanilla. I have no idea how I am going to make this taste good though. Most holiday brews over-do the spice profile, and I want to make something drinkable and warming. Maybe I'll make a variation of the Brown using Belgian yeast, giving that even spice flavour.
Slainte!
-J

1 comment:

Jeff Lance said...

Haha, I could draw Catherine the Great getting it on with a horse...